Thursday, July 11, 2013

Boo!

I mentioned in my bio that I love a good ghost story.  I have never seen a ghost myself, but I love to hear about my friends and relatives' experiences.  I love the small thrill and the unexpected scare.  And I scare very easily.  In fact, I have friends that refuse to see movies with me because I am a jumper when that "Boo" moment happens onscreen.

I have heard friends relate that their car is haunted, their house is haunted, their painting is haunted and more.  I love it.  Tell me a story and I am happy as a clam!  Gleeful!  But wait until the sun comes up, please.  Don't tell me that story in the dark because that is just mean.

Recently, my husband and I have been experiencing strange reverberating thuds in our house after we go to bed.  We have 4 kids so we usually chalk it up to them and their shenanigans.  But then my husband left for a night for work and I was left alone to hear the thuds.  Last night he was back and I was brave enough to go check the kids.

If these thuds are the kids' fault, then they are doing a lot of monkey stuff.  They are jumping down and back up on the bunk bed.  They are running down the hall.  They are awake!  Awake at 10 is completely in violation of the rules!

But when I checked on them, they were most certainly asleep.  They can play possum pretty well, but they were definitely asleep.  Slack faces, sweet sighs, and utter stillness gave them away.

So I went back to my room and kept hearing the soft thud, thud, THUD......thud of mayhem in the rest of the house.  I did what anyone would do late at night to find out what it was.  I googled 'thud in the night.'  

I know you will be completely shocked to find out that this particular google search generates many ghost story websites.  And I love a good ghost story.  So I read them.  And then I was completely freaked out!

There was a haunted hospital story and a haunted mobile home story and a haunted dog story.  And I kept reading even though every thud now sounded like an ax murderer coming to get me.  

I finally got tired enough to fall asleep.  My husband and I had a discussion the next morning about the thuds.  He has heard them too.  We have decided, now that it is daylight, that the thuds are our sound system where we play books on CD at night to help us fall asleep.  We recently moved some of the bits and pieces around to set up an outdoor movie for the kids.  The sub woofer must have been adjusted and now as our narrator talks, when he hits a particular deep vocal sound, it thuds.

This is very comforting to me.   It  will save me hours of trembling and shivering in my bed waiting for Freddy Kruger to come slice me up.

Since it is daylight right now, would you like to share your ghost story in the comments?  

Update:  Today we have an all time high number of page views.  I think it is the ghost story label.  So somebody needs to comment.  It's a rule, right?

Update Deux:  I notice that I did not actually say I love ghost stories in my bio here.  Heh.  I did say I love those bad scary movies, that are mostly shown on Syfy.  Have you seen the latest?  Sharknado??  My God that is bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment